Aug 18, 2010

The Road to Wembley, step 7: We belong to you

The Hamburg concert changed something for sure. I consulted the notes I took on the train ride back home for proof:
[October 29th, 2009]
“The i-pod plays Muse, almost like an omen. It was a blast, with Bellamy off limits. That is farther off limits than usual. Looking through the pictures I took yesterday, I still cannot believe it. Because what happened was: unbelievable. More like a musical or an opera than a rock concert.


[had i known what was expecting me, i would've downed my cider in one go!]

The stage: three pillars with cages in the middle in which Matty and the boys stood. The cape is the new trend accessory for the cosmopolitan singer. With fringes! Along with pink satin pants, silvery glitter shoes and greenish sparkling sunglasses. Premium style, dude!
And he might have actually had a clown for breakfast, that Bellamy. I mean: he talks. Several times. Hello!? When did that happen for the last time?
Besides that: hit after hit. Every instrument in every song: sang along to it. The new stuff is received not so well and through ‘Undisclosed Desires’ it feels like Marion and I are the only ones dancing. But there’s guy-love in the row behind us. 4 dudes, close to tears, arm in arm, shouting ‘Thanks Matthew’ after every song.
Matty happens.
Muse: no words, only visual and acoustic lunacy. Precision machines they are. But I have to admit that this perfection leaves me a bit at a loss. The show lacks emotion. The Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg, still under construction, would have been the perfect venue, with its sharp and cold architecture, placed on the top of a skyscraper overlooking the harbour - as close to the stars as possible. Not to mention the symphony factor.
At some point I have to get rid of my ear plugs in order to enjoy the sound in its full scale. Here too everything is designed perfectly. No unsurpassable walls of sound, rather a sound gown – or cape! – you’re wrapped into.
I look down at the crowd and all the raised fists and catch myself thinking: Rage against the Machine meets Rachmaninov is what this is. Agitation meets classical music. And Matty is dancing with himself. His fingers caress the piano keys and torture the guitar strings. He gniedels (there is no appropriate English word, I’m sorry) one orgiastic solo after the other. Let alone the effect stage. Matty is off limits vocally, too.


[having no Bellamy-ish fashion items around to focus her attention on, marion turns to coffee]

Marion says that the stuff Muse produced on the last two records will in 10 to 20 years time have the status Queen songs have nowadays. I agree. These songs will be modern classics. Maybe they are already. I’ve always hated the word rock-opera. But I can hardly think of any more appropriate label for this evening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment